Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekend Trip

I made another trip down to Alabama (sadly, without my hard-working husband again). It was a fun trip and a sad trip. It was a necessary trip. There was celebration and grief.

We celebrated the upcoming marriage of Judd, who is basically a brother to me. Judd is marrying his bride, Amanda, on September 3--the same day Baby Luke is due. I promise I did not plan for this to happen. I actually tried to avoid it. HA. Funny how things work out. I'm sick about having to miss the big event in Dallas, so I made sure that I didn't miss the celebration this weekend. Mom and Dad (plus some) hosted a "back porch supper" and kitchen shower for the happy couple.

The four of us (plus Mal) were inseparable in high school. Good times...
Mom had the house and the yard looking fabulous. These pictures don't do it justice.



On Saturday, the parentals and I loaded up and headed to Mississippi to visit our precious Grandy (Dad's mom). Grandy is nearing the end of her life and her 11 year battle with cancer. She is such a strong, beautiful, talented, and godly woman. She has fought this cancer hard, and the Lord has given her many more years than anyone expected. For her, it will be a blessing to go home to be with Jesus. No more chemo poisoning her body. No more sickness. No more pain. No more struggle. Dad says she's expressed to him that she's ready. For us, it will be such a loss for her to go. We can't imagine life without her. I can't imagine her not being here to meet Baby Luke or Baby Betsy (her other great-grandchild coming in September), or not being here for the weddings of her other 12 grandchildren. No one can fathom going to Mt. Olive and her not being there, cooking up a gourmet feast for 30 people or working in the garden. The house has her touch all over it. It will be so different--so empty-- without her. Please pray for her during these last days or weeks. Pray that God would be merciful and that she would not have any pain or anxiety. Pray that the perfect peace of Christ would fill her. Pray for my Papa. He's having such a hard time. Pray that God would give him (and all of us) the strength and grace needed to face the loss of someone so dear. Watching a body grow weak and die is such a horrid part of the curse of sin. It never becomes natural or less horrific, no matter how many times we see it happen. Praise God that Grandy's body will one day be resurrected and restored! One day, there will be complete restoration for all who are in Christ! This is the hope to which we cling in these terrible times of grief...

With Papa and Grandy at my wedding--December 2008

I was so thankful to get to spend time with my Mama on Mother's Day this year. What a precious, precious gift she is to me! She has served me sacrificially, spoken truth to me boldly, stood beside me through everything, and just loved me well. I love her more than words can describe and cannot thank God enough for giving her to me as my mom.

Me, Mom, and Jen in Louisville---April 2010

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, my eyes are filling with tears. I am so glad to read this...and so sad to be losing sweet Beth. She was the beautiful epitome of Southern womanhood ... and she lived with a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye. I pray that her garden in heaven was as full and beautiful as the one she had here -- in her home with her flowering children and grandchildren around. I can't imagine that heaven would be much better than that!

    ReplyDelete