Monday, July 5, 2010

Village Day 2

June 28, 2010

The sun has not been shining brightly, and the rain has fallen often. For this, we are very grateful. One of our interpreters, Philipe', told us that Cayanlipe' is the hottest place in Nicaragua. The rain has definitely helped to keep things cooler. I think the temperature is very pleasant...actually feels cooler than last week in Louisville. However, we've traded the heat for the mud. Yuck! I'm so glad that I brought my old running shoes. Poor Mom only brought flip flops, and she is really wishing for some close-toed shoes as we slosh through the mud. Everyone anticipated dry heat rather than sloshy, rainy mud.

Today has been another busy day. The medical clinic saw 1,009 patients, and the pharmacy filled that many prescriptions. There were not many breaks today. I'm used to a bigger team and more opportunities to sit down and rest. With a smaller team, everyone is needed all the time! The work is tiring but fulfilling. You know that you're doing something valuable---something that makes a difference.

I worked in the Pharmacy most of the day. I always enjoy the pharmacy and the fellowship with everyone. There is always lots of talking and laughing as we work to find the medicines and fill each prescription (FYI: You don't have to be specially trained to work in the pharmacy. You are basically just locating pre-labeled medicines and putting them in a bag for the patients). It was fun to get to spend lots of time with Mom.

The Mosquitoes are AWFUL here, and they absolutely LOVE me (especially my legs). Last night, my feet were being bitten through tennis shoes and socks. WHAT?!? I've been rubbing down in mosquito spray with 100% deet all day long. My legs look diseased with all these bites that I keep scratching. It would be easy to complain about these little pests, but I am trying to keep my mouth closed. I'm reminded of Betsy and Corrie Ten Boom, who thanked God (even) for the fleas that were biting them while they were in a concentration camp during WWII. They realized that God is completely sovereign, even over bugs, and we are to rejoice always. What an example!

I enjoyed helping out in the youth girl's ministry today. Meghan Howard taught the girls about inner beauty and about how God is more concerned with the condition of their hearts than the condition of their outer appearance. She shared the Gospel and several girls responded by putting their faith in Christ.

I have also really enjoyed getting to know the new field missionaries, Timothy and Jessie Crabtree. They are only a few years older than Adam and me and moved to Nicaragua a month ago after language school in Costa Rica for a year. It has been encouraging to talk to Jessie about their call to the mission field and all that God is doing in their lives. They are just so sweet and down-to-earth. I love building new friendships! I hope that we can stay connected with their work in Nicaragua, a country and a people we so love.

Adam preached in the evening church service. He did a great job! I love seeing his passion for the Gospel when he speaks.

Showers and Bed (a little earlier than last night...Gracias, Dios!)

(I'm have trouble posting pics for this post! Maybe later...)

No comments:

Post a Comment