Saturday, May 8, 2010

When Trials Come...

When trials come no longer fear
For in the pain our God draws near
To fire a faith worth more than gold
And there His faithfulness is told.

Within the night I know Your peace
The breath of God brings strength to me
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow.

I turn to Wisdom not my own
For every battle You have known
My confidence will rest in You
Your love endures Your ways are good

When I am weary with the cost
I see the triumph of the cross
So in it’s shadow I shall run
Till You completes the work begun

One day all things will be made new
I’ll see the hope You called me to
And in your kingdom paved with gold
I’ll praise your faithfulness of old!

-The Getty's

This is a song written by Keith and Kristyn Getty about experiencing trials. Although these words aren't scripture, they are based on scripture, and I think they are precious words to read and sing when the trials do come (as they will for us all). These words have been especially comforting of late, as my dad has just been diagnosed with malignant Sarcoma in his leg. It has been difficult to grapple with the reality that my dad--the one who loved me, cared for me, provided for me, and shepherded me spiritually for 20 something years is facing a serious illness that could potentially take his life. We are so thankful that his situation is not any worse than it is (so many people are experiencing greater trials). Nonetheless, this is a testing trial in the life of our family that could easily lead to anxiety, fear, or distress. We constantly need reminders of how we, as believers, should respond to trials. In trials and testings, we must remember that God is refining our faith, conforming us more unto the image of Christ (making us perfect and complete). Trials of darkness, produce treasures of the morning. (James 1:2-4) After a trial, one is less of himself/herself and more of Christ. Each morning, the Lord provides new mercies to help us face the trials of the day. We must rely on Christ's wisdom, rather than our own, to help us respond to trials correctly (James 1:5) For, every trial that we face has been known and experienced by Christ Himself (Hebrews 4:15) We must trust that His ways are always good and right, even when our own circumstances seem bad and are difficult to understand (Psalm 100:5, Romans 8:28) Furthermore, we face trials by hiding in the shadow of the cross, remembering that we are in Christ (Col 3:3) Finally, regardless of what happens in our circumstances (sickness, pain, suffering, or death), we have the hope that one day all things will be made new. One day, Jesus Christ will put all things under His feet and will reign with total dominion. And because we are in HIM, we will reign too. All things will be new and gloriously perfect--no suffering, no sickness, no crying, and no pain (Rev 21:4). THIS is our hope. Therefore, we do not suffer and grieve as those with no hope. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!



1 comment: